MIDNITE WALKERS PARANORMAL RESEARCH SOCIETY Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
MidNite Walkers Paranormal Research Society is BACK! Sorry for all the inconvenience it may have caused while we were gone.
  6843 Posts in 707 Topics by 285 Members Latest Member: psst
* HOME HELP SEARCH CALENDAR LOGIN REGISTER 
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: "Dead Man's Hill"  (Read 1526 times)
Cherokee
Board Member
Officer
Apparition

I did it, but I am blaming you!

« on: February 17, 2008, 01:35:01 PM »

Someone in our chat room a couple of weeks ago sent me this story through e-mail. If it is near any of you and you have not all ready investigated it maybe you you like to. I would like to thank our vister for this story. I would add his name but I didn't know if he wanted me to. But if you read this please feel free to add any commits you would like.

Located on farmland outside of Willmar, Minnesota is a place called "Dead Man's Hill" that has been haunted for many, many years, dating back to the era before the Civil War. At that time, there were several places in Minnesota associated with the "Underground Railroad", the secret system to help slaves escape from the southern states. Many of these slaves settled into the northern regions of the country, while many others, like the ones that passed through Minnesota, were on their way to Canada.

It should be remembered that at this time, while the states in the northern were considered "free" states, and no slavery was practiced there, it was still legal for bounty hunters and slave traders to pursue escaped slaves in these states. If a slave, who was considered the property of his southern owner, escaped into a "free" state, he could still be found and brought back to his owner in the south. Such were the laws at the time that a ghost came to haunt Dead Man's Hill.

Located on the farm outside of Willmar was an American elm tree that marked the grave of a runaway slave who had died on the farm. The slave had made it as far north as Minnesota when he was captured by a bounty hunter who had probably been promised a handsome reward for the return of the runaway. The slave was chained to a fence post for the night but somehow, in the darkness, he managed to pull the post from the ground and again escape. The bounty hunter awoke and the two of them fought until the slave beheaded his captor with the man's own sword.

The next morning, the family who lived on the farm were shocked to find the body of the slave near their front porch. Mortally wounded, he had managed to crawl to the house, dragging the fence post behind him. The family followed a blood trail to the top of a nearby hill and found the body of the bounty hunter. The bounty hunter was buried at the top of what became known as Dead Man's Hill and the slave was buried near the house, where the tree was planted.

A short time later, two men met unexplained deaths on Dead Man's Hill. The first man killed was that of a sharecropper who lived on the nearby farm. The other man was hired by the farmer's widow a short time later. Both men were attacked and killed on the hill by an unknown suspect.... one that had left a trail of footprints in the snow and which, by the trail left behind, had been dragging something behind him. It looked as though it had been the size of a fence post.

The deaths were blamed on the runaway slave's ghost, who was also said to be haunting the farm house where he had died. Items often disappeared from the house, only to turn up later and occupants reported hearing the sound of the ghost on an almost nightly basis. Usually the sounds would start near the hill and continue up to the house, a moaning and dragging sound, mixed with the sound of rattling chains.

The ghost was never seen, only heard, and his presence remains a frightful. It is said that strange things still happen in the vicinity of the hill, but luckily no one else has met their deaths in that place, leaving some to wonder if the other two men that died may have happened something to do with the slave's capture after all.
=

Cher
boogieman
Board Member
Officer
Apparition

Every thing happens for a reason

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 06:06:31 PM »

I'm not all that for away from there about an hour

Something can be explained but for those's that can't be i try to find and answer mostly a more likely one but some times you just cant and that's cool too:)http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f277/lauramwarner/ailike2hotwax.jpg
Cherokee
Board Member
Officer
Apparition

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 10:41:42 PM »

Have you heard these stories before?

Cher
boogieman
Board Member
Officer
Apparition

Every thing happens for a reason

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 06:24:17 PM »

ya a lil bit of it not much tho

Something can be explained but for those's that can't be i try to find and answer mostly a more likely one but some times you just cant and that's cool too:)http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f277/lauramwarner/ailike2hotwax.jpg
Admin
Supervisor
Apparition

"Only Normal People see Ghosts"

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 10:23:42 PM »

First time i heard about it was in the chat the other night.

"It can't be a Fact if you have Possibilities"
medic1506

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 01:54:04 PM »

I live in Willmar. This story as well as the story about the woman who came home to find her children murdered both originate in this area. Dead Man's Hill is said to have the sound of rattling chains at night, moans, and occasional sightings, although it is mostly audible manifestations. Willmar is an hour east of St. Cloud on highway 23. The woman with the murdered children occured in Sibley state park. At that location, people hear moaning, see red eyes in the woods ( I have spoken to a few people who have experienced this) and feel like they are being watched or followed in the woods. The woman is said to have hung herself in despair after finding her children murdered, and is said to be searching the woods for the killer. I have just recently spoken to people who have experienced these activites, so I am looking forward to going to the sites this spring when the weather is better.
Admin
Supervisor
Apparition

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008, 03:09:04 PM »

They sound like interesting places to explore some.

Cherokee
Board Member
Officer
Apparition

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2008, 10:53:22 PM »

Thanks for adding to the story. If you do go back we would love to hear about it.

Cher
kmott4
Katie "Koo Koo" Mott
Members
Vortex

There is some logic in even the craziest of minds!

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2008, 04:38:09 PM »

Where is Dead Man's Hill located? Medic do you know? I live in Lake Lillian, it's a 15 minute drive south of Willmar, plus I want to know where Timberlake Road is exactly... Can anyone help, Medic I think you and I should go investigate, I have few friends that are in Willmar that I am sure will help. Plus there is Ness Lake Church near Litchfield that I want to check out, I know it's exact location because and ex boyfriend's parents live out by there!

Your good is BETTER and your better is BLESSED!
Admin
Supervisor
Apparition

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2008, 05:14:21 PM »

Can you tell us a little about Lock Ness Church. I don't know anything about Dead Man's Hill, but would be interested in finding out more and maybe doing investigation sometime this summer.

Britt04
Members
Vortex

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2008, 12:32:31 PM »

okay sorry it took me so long to write back about the Timberlake Road thing.  Anyways here is the REAL story.

My grandma's best friend's family is the family that this all happened to.  My great grandma used to have the papers from when this happend.  Timberlake road actually was formed by a tornado going through that area and so the people who settle there just made a dirt road out of the path the tornado took down.

Anyways the night of the murders...my Grandmas friend's aunt and uncle lived their with their 3 children.  The oldest of the children when mentally nuts because he had gotten ill from some sort of sickness.  The family sent the boy to the state hospital or what used to be the state hospital here in willmar.

A few years later the Dad went to go pick the son up for a visit home.  When they got back to their home Dad had some farming still left to do and the mother was making dinner. The oldest son that was in the mental ward at the state hospital had an episod killed the mother who was pregnant, the 2 other kids in the house.  Then he went out into the field and killled the father and the dog.

Our families are not sure what happened to the son, we believe that he was found at the house and the cops brang him back to the state hospital but we are not for sure on that, he could have killed him self too and my grandmas friend passed on last year so it would be kind of hard to find out now.

That is the real story.  Everyone talks about other things that happened but that is what really went on.  Also there is a grave yard that I have had experiences and so have the others that have been with me.  The grave yard is located on the right of the road right at the beginning.  I think ti is worth a looking into.

It has been rumored that they have demolished the house or that the house is very dilapidated...but I am not sure on that.  Many kids party out there so I am not sure if the county has stepped in there or not.

Cherokee
Board Member
Officer
Apparition

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2008, 02:21:53 PM »

Thanks for the real story Britt! Grin

Cher
Pages: [1] Print

« previous next »
Jump to: